In 1971, it was founded as UCC, the university Computer Center. In 1988, it was established as an Institute of Computer Science and Technology (ICST). On July 1, 1998, the Institute was changed to the University of Computer Studies, Yangon (UCSY).
The University of Computer Studies, Yangon (UCSY) is one of the higher institutions under the Ministry of Education (MOE). UCSY is to conduct teaching and research in various branches of computer science and technology. To meet the growing need for general and advanced computer education in Myanmar, the university offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees as well as diploma programs in computer studies. Its language of instruction is English.
Our Missions are to produce more experts who have the practical ability to invent, install, experiment with, and apply computer hardware and software with a view to making Myanmar a modern and developed nation and to train Information Technology (IT) professionals for Myanmar. The main purposes of the university are:
- To train Information Technology (IT) professionals, leaders and entrepreneurs for Myanmar and to advance research and development in both the academic and professional disciplines.
- To help meet the growing need for general and advanced computer education in Myanmar.
- To offer both undergraduate and post graduate degrees as well as diploma programs in computer studies.
- To conduct research contributing to the welfare to the nation and to carry out research and development activities on IT utilizing the high caliber experts.
- To foster the outstanding products of the University to become high caliber experts.